- What is the driving range on the Clarity Electric?
- The Clarity Electric received an EPA combined driving-range rating of 89 miles on a single charge. Your range will vary depending on driving conditions, how you drive and maintain your vehicle, battery age/condition, and other factors such as vehicle load and weather.
- How do I maximize range on the Clarity Electric?
- The Clarity Electric features energy-smart climate control technologies, an efficient Heat Pump, eco mode, and multiple levels of regeneration to help maximize driving range.
- Will using accessories like the heater, air conditioner or sound system affect my driving range?
- The air conditioner and heater consume energy from the high-voltage battery, causing the range to decrease. Also, turning off the air conditioner or heater when not needed will help manage the high voltage battery and increase your driving range.
- Are there any functions in the car to help me maximize my battery range?
- Yes, the Clarity Electric is equipped with several eco-coaching functions, including an ECON mode adopted from other Honda hybrid vehicles. Additionally there are user controllable regeneration levels.
- What does 'MPGe' mean?
- 'MPGe' stands for 'miles per gallon equivalent,' where one gallon of gasoline equates to 33.7 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity. Formulated by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), it is the standardized way to compare the fuel efficiency of plug-in electric vehicles and hybrid vehicles to gasoline-powered vehicles. EPA ratings, e.g., MPGe and range, are based on the results of various tests.
- How long will the battery last?
- The battery is designed to provide many years of reliable service, and is backed by an 8 year, 100,000 mile warranty.
- How long will the battery remain charged if the vehicle is left unplugged?
- The drain on the battery will be very small. However, a variety of factors like outside temperature, age of the battery and the original state of charge when it was parked will have an effect on the drain rate and amount.
- Will "topping off” every night damage the battery?
- No, "topping off" will not damage the battery.
- How does weather affect the performance and battery life?
- The Clarity Electric’s battery technology was designed with thermal stability in mind. However, inclement weather may generally affect the battery performance of all electric vehicles, the Clarity Electric included. Extreme temperatures also often lead to an increased use of the HVAC system, which may result in a decreased driving range. The available driving range for the Clarity Electric may be significantly reduced when the vehicle is operated in hot or cold conditions, due to some temporary battery capacity loss and increased use of air conditioning and heating. This is particularly true with cold temperature operation. Batteries work by chemical reaction, and the speed of the reactions decrease as the temperature drops, resulting in a temporary decrease in total battery capacity. Driving range is further reduced by increased heater and other accessory use. The heater, and all other accessories, draws power from the car's high voltage battery unless the car is plugged into a Level 2 (240V) charging system. Reducing accessory drain will improve overall driving range. As the cold temperatures subside, these reductions in driving range should subside as well.
- How far can I drive after the high-voltage battery warning lamp turns on?
- Depending on your driving speed, air conditioner or heater use, weather conditions, and your driving habits, you can usually drive for about 10 miles after the warning lamp turns on. The lamp comes on at 15% charge remaining.
- Does the Clarity Electric use regenerative braking to help recharge the battery?
- Yes – lifting the accelerator (coasting) and applying the brakes converts the electric motor into a generator. As the motor slows the vehicle, it produces electricity at the same time. The Clarity Electric has four driver-adjusted levels of regeneration, controlled by the Deceleration Selectors.
- How does charging work and what types of charging are available?
- The Clarity Electric has an onboard rechargeable battery that stores energy to power the electric motor. The battery can be charged by plugging your Clarity Electric into an outlet at home, work or any public charging station. There are three ways to charge and all are accessible through the port located on the front left fender. Level 1 charging can be done by plugging your car into a 120V household outlet (with a dedicated 15 amp circuit), and is convenient with the Level 1 charging cord that comes with the Clarity Electric. DC Fast Charging is the fastest type of charging currently available, comes standard with the Clarity Electric and is available at many public charging stations throughout California and Oregon. Level 2 charging requires a 240V charger, and is available at charging stations throughout California and Oregon, or you can install a Level 2 charging station at your home.
- How long does it take to charge the Clarity Electric?
- Charging time depends on the type of charger you select and the battery’s state of charge. Level 1, 120v charge takes about 19 hours for a full charge when starting at 0% charge. The Level 2, 240v charge provides you with a full charge in about 3.1 hours. The DC Fast Charge provides an 80% charge in about 30 minutes.
- How often should I charge up?
- Plugging the Clarity Electric in to charge at night ensures you have maximum charge available the next morning. To help minimize cost, use the HondaLink App to schedule charging based on optimum times for your utility.
- Can I plug into any wall outlet at my house?
- The Clarity Electric includes a 120-volt adaptor that can be plugged into a 120-volt wall outlet. It is recommended that a dedicated 120-volt GFCI outlet (not shared) with a 15 amp circuit be used and that a licensed-electrician confirm the suitability of any outlet used.
- Can I DC Fast Charge my car every day?
- Yes, you can fast charge your car daily.
- Can I charge at home without a Level 2 system?
- Yes, you can charge the Clarity Electric at home by using the Level 1 Charging cord that comes standard with your Clarity Electric. By connecting it to 120V outlet (with a dedicated 15 amp circuit), it takes about 19 hours for a full charge when starting at 0% charge.
- How do I install the Level 2, 240v charging system in my home?
- There are many choices for home charging, with equipment available from reputable manufacturers such as Leviton, Bosch, Clipper Creek, and many others. We recommend that a licensed electrician that has experience with these types of installations install it. A third party article with good information can be found here: http://www.plugincars.com/quick-guide-buying-your-first-home-ev-charger-126875.html
- Where can I charge the Clarity Electric?
- There are over 20,000 chargers in California and Oregon located in public locations such as malls, airports, offices, and near freeways. To find these chargers you can use the in-car navigation system, the HondaLink App, the PlugShare app or PlugShare.com.
- Is there a smartphone application to monitor state of charge?
- Yes, with the HondaLink app, drivers can remotely check the state of charge, initiate charging and remotely activate the climate control system and more.
- Can I schedule charging?
- Yes, you can schedule charging through the HondaLink app or with the Clarity Electric's vehicle settings.
- How much does it cost to use a public station?
- There are various public charging networks for charging. The cost at Public stations vary from monthly subscriptions to a few dollars an hour to completely free. To find out how much a particular station costs, check the HondaLink app, the PlugShare app or PlugShare.com.
- How do I find public charging stations near me?
- The Clarity Electric comes standard with Navigation and a charging station locator, as well as the HondaLink App, which can help you locate nearby charging stations. With the HondaLink App, you can find stations right from your smartphone.
- What are the hours of operation at public stations?
- Hours are generally set by charging station property owners. Use the HondaLink app, the PlugShare app or PlugShare.com to get the operating hours for your desired station(s).
- Can I use the HOV lane?
- For California residents, through January 1, 2019, California law allows single-occupant use of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV or carpool) lanes by qualifying clean alternative fuel vehicles such as plug-in hybrids and zero-emissions vehicles. Clarity Electric lessees are eligible to apply for the HOV sticker through the California Department of Motor Vehicles, and under regulations, once you receive the sticker, you may use designated HOV lanes, even if you’re driving alone. Please contact your dealer or the California DMV for details.
- What benefits and incentives come with driving an Electric Vehicle?
- Electric utilities may offer reduced electricity rates for EV owners. Also, several major car insurance companies offer discounts to EV owners. More potential benefits include rebates for home charger installation, free or preferred public parking, free charging at certain businesses, and reduced toll fees. Sacramento, CA, for instance, offers free parking and charging at public garages, and PG&E offers reduced rates for residential EV charging. Contact your utility and individual businesses for more information. There are currently Federal tax credits available for plug in vehicles. Some states also offer rebates and tax credits. These incentives can change frequently. A list of incentives by state can be found at: https://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/state
- How fast does the Clarity Electric go?
- Thanks to the Clarity Electric's 221 lb-ft of torque, it is quick off the line. In Sport mode, the Clarity Electric delivers enthusiast-level performance in terms of acceleration and top speed.
- What is the benefit of instant torque?
- The benefit is the immediate availability of all the motor’s torque from the moment you press the accelerator. The Clarity Electric offers up all 221 lb-ft. of torque at just above zero RPM. The result is brisk, smooth acceleration right off the line.
- Why does the Clarity Electric make a sound at low speeds even though there’s no engine?
- The Clarity Electric has no engine sound and thus is almost silent. However, for pedestrian safety, it generates an audible sound when the vehicle is driven below 17mph.
- Can I preset the cabin temperature of the Clarity Electric with my smartphone before I get into the car?
- Yes, you can pre-condition the climate control system in the Clarity Electric via the HondaLink App. To help avoid reducing your battery charge, you can preset the cabin temperature while the car is plugged into a charging station. You can also pre-condition the cabin without being plugged in, as long as the battery state of charge is above 50%.
- How many people can the Clarity Electric accommodate?
- The Clarity Electric comfortably fits 5 adult passengers.
- Is there a roadside assistance program?
- Yes, free 24/7 roadside assistance is available for towing, lockout and flat tire services, in the event you need it. The navigation system, as well as the HondaLink app, includes the number for free nationwide roadside assistance, 1-866-372-5139.
- There is no spare tire. What happens when I get a flat?
- Honda has included 24/7 Roadside Assistance that offers flat-tire repair, lockout assistance and towing services. Like other Hondas, the Clarity Electric also comes equipped with a tire repair kit to reduce the weight of the car and to help maximize the MPGe. The kit consists of a canister of sealant to plug punctures and a small electric air compressor to re-inflate the tire. The number for Roadside Assistance is 1-866-372-5139.
- What happens if I run out of charge while on the road?
- Free roadside assistance is available to assist you nationwide. The number for the service is 1-866-372-5139 , and can also be found in the navigation system or by using the HondaLink app.
- What kind of maintenance is required?
- Electric vehicles typically require less maintenance than gasoline-powered vehicles, as no oil changes are needed. Please see your owners manual for details on scheduled maintenance.
- Can I take the Clarity Electric to any Honda dealer for repairs?
- Only Clarity Electric certified Honda dealers are qualified to work on the Clarity Electric drivetrain. Other issues can be addressed at any Honda dealership.